If you recently got a Golden Retriever then one of the first things that you’ll want to do is to teach it the stay command. This post will show you how.
How to teach your Golden Retriever to stay
- Go to an open space like a park, backyard or large room with your Golden Retriever. Take with you some treats, a toy that your Golden Retriever likes and a long leash if you have one.
- Start by rewarding it to sit or to lay on command. If you haven’t taught it how to do so yet then you can get it to learn by luring it into the sit position using a treat.
- Now tell it to sit and then say “stay” with your palm out is if you’re telling someone to “stop.”
- Get it to keep its focus on you for a fraction of a second and then reward it for staying by giving it a treat.
- Now repeat the above two steps. Each time you do it get it to stay for a few seconds longer. Keep doing it until you can get it to stay for over 10 seconds. Make sure not to make a large jump in how long you get it to wait for since the idea is to reward it for doing it correctly.
- Now tell it to “sit” and “stay” but go back a few steps when you get it to stay so that there is distance between you and then go back and reward it for staying.
- Now repeat step 6 but each time you do it take some more steps back before going back to reward it.
- Now tell it to sit and stay and take some steps back but this time start to wait before going back to it.
- Now tell it to “sit” and “stay” but this time distract it using toys. Start by simply showing it the toy and then build up to throwing the toy. Reward your Golden Retriever for staying.
- Now add distance. Start by only going back a few steps and then build up to going further.
Watch this video to see how it’s done
Why to teach your Golden Retriever to stay
There are a number of ways in which teaching your Golden Retriever to stay will be helpful for you. Below, I will mention a number of them.
Makes socializing easier
By being able to get your Golden Retriever to stay it will help you to get it to be more well behaved around guests. This will help you to pay more attention to your guests and it will help a lot if your guests are uncomfortable around dogs.
You’ll have an easier time walking it
It will help you when you walk it because you’ll be able to get it to stay when you need to do things. For example, you’ll be able to get it to stay when you’re picking up its poop which will make taking it for walks much more enjoyable.
It will be easier to handle at the vets
Being able to get it to stay more easily at the vets will help it to be an easier experience at it will be less stressful for your Golden Retriever. It will also give people a better impression of your Golden Retriever.
Keep it responsive to your command
Since you can tell it the stay command in a number of different situations it will help you to keep your Golden Retriever responsive to your command. This will help you to teach it new things. It will also help to cement your position as the leader and can help to prevent dominating behaviors.
You’ll get it to behave more easily
When it is misbehaving it will be easier for you to get it to stop. This will make your relationship with your Golden Retriever much more enjoyable.
Things to consider
When you’re teaching your Golden Retriever to stay there are some things to keep in mind that will make it a more simply process.
Getting your Golden Retriever to stay when you tell it to every time is not something that you’ll be able to do in one training session. Instead, it will be necessary for you to teach it over a longer time period so that it has a chance to really change its habits and how it listens for your command.
This is why it’s important to take a long term approach to the training so that you don’t get discouraged if you don’t make quick progress.
Give it lots of exercise
By giving your Golden Retriever lots of exercise you will be able to reduce how hyperactive it is. This will help you to keep its focus on you which will be helpful in getting it to learn how to stay.
Build up the distractions
When you’re teaching it to stay when being distracted it would be easier to start by only distracting it a small amount. The idea of the training is to positively reinforce good behaviors. This is why you should avoid making large jumps in how much you distract it.
Start in an easier environment
When you’re teaching your Golden Retriever to stay it would be easier to start in a less distracting environment and then to build up to training it
The amount of distractions there are in the environment will have a big impact on how easy or difficult it is to keep its focus on you.
The age of your Golden Retriever is something that you’ll want to keep in mind. If it is still young then you might find that it is difficult to keep its attention on you. However, it’s important to teach it while it is still young since it will be easier to change its habits and you’ll be able to get it to be more well behaved as an adult.
Make sure to do it regularly
It’s important to teach your Golden Retriever to stay regularly. If you don’t then it won’t be listening out for your command as much. An easy way to regularly teach your Golden Retriever the stay command would be to get it to stay before feeding it.
How to teach a Golden Retriever to come? Before teaching your Golden Retriever to come it will be necessary for you to teach it to stay. After that, you’ll want to tell it to “stay” then
How to teach your Golden Retriever Down? To teach your Golden Retriever “down” start by getting some treats that it likes then say “down” while enticing it to go down by lowering a treat to the floor.
Once it’s easy for you to get it to go down with the treats start getting it to go down only when you say “down” then give it a treat afterward.
If you would like learn everything that you need to know about how to have a happy, healthy and well-behaved Golden Retriever, take a look at this Golden Retriever ebook.